Unite Newsletter - March 2018
On International Women’s Day (8 March), Sweden’s Foreign Ministry orchestrated #WikiGap edit-a-thon events in over 50 countries around the world. The goal was to improve the representation of women on Wikipedia--the world’s largest online, user-generated encyclopedia--in which there are 4 times more articles about men than women. The Permanent Mission of Sweden organized the event at UNHQ in New York where attendees were provided free training and contributed content on the subject of “Women in Leadership”. At the close of the four-hour event, 42 volunteers had added 6,350 words, created two new articles, and edited 26 articles. Co-hosts included the Consulate General of Sweden in New York; the Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT); Wikimedia New York; afroCROWD; UN Women; UN Youth Envoy; UN social media team and UN Intranet-iSeek. Learn more
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and the United Nations Department of Management’s Office of Information and Communications Technology recently announced that the Blockchain for Social Impact team of ConsenSys has won the Unite Ideas “Blockchain for Humanity” challenge to use this emerging technology to help combat child trafficking in the Republic of Moldova. Learn more
ICT in the field
- Scenes from the Power BI Conference in Entebbe
- Mission Support Management Dashboard
- Centralizing Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
- Guidance on the DFS WAN strategy and the UN Intelsat satellite network
- Newly-established GSC Client Technology Board
- Situational Awareness Programme Update
- Our Changing World: New and Updated Maps from UNGIS—the Geospatial Information Authority of the UN
- Hosted TechNovation Talk — “Cyberspace and Cybersecurity Policy, Risks & Strategies” at UN Headquarters for staff and Member States
- Co-hosted the #WikiGap edit-a-thon at UNHQ to increase entries about notable women on Wikipedia
- Press release published on the winner of the Unite Ideas #Blockchain4Humanity challenge to use blockchain technology to help combat child trafficking in the Republic of Moldova
Reminder: We need your feedback
- If you have not yet moved to Unite Mail, please take a few minutes to complete the pre-migration survey.
- If you are using Unite Mail, please take a few minutes to complete the post-migration survey.
- Please take a few minutes to complete the OneDrive introductory survey.
Unite Mail migration
- UN Headquarters has successfully completed migration to Unite Mail!
- Office 365 Training & Guides
ICT on iSeek
- Over 6300 words closer to closing the #WikiGap
- Non-traditional resources for peacekeeping technology
- Here's what trended on iSeek in February...
- The future is here: how frontier technology will impact UN work
- UN Social Media speaks your language
- Seven new accessibility features available on inspira
- New online platform for 2018 Financial Disclosure Programme cycle