A Future with AI: Voices of Global Youth Report Launched
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is developing at an exceedingly rapid pace, and it is important that we adopt AI intentionally. Young people today will likely live in a future world in which AI will be pervasive. They deserve a say in what this future will look like.
A Future with AI: Voices of Global Youth report is based on a study conducted between January-March 2022 that included a questionnaire asking youth (10-24) from around the world to share their thoughts on the future of artificial intelligence, as well as an “Imagination Challenge” in which participants submitted a free-form essay about the future of AI.
Two hundred fifty-four youth from 36 countries completed the survey. Forty-seven of the respondents also contributed essays on the future of AI.
Among the report's key findings:
- the perception of AI and robots among youth is positive (93.2 percent), with slightly more than two-thirds (68 percent) stating they trust AI.
- about 80 percent said they interact with AI multiple times a day
- a majority (76.3 percent) thinks that the risks of AI technology are serious, but they can be controlled
- top concerns mentioned included “unemployment as a result of AI” (75 percent) and “military uses of AI” (74.3 percent)
- ninety-three percent expressed interest in “discussing AI use and regulation”, while 86 percent “want to collaborate with AI” in the future
The report’s authors conclude that: “To create a future with AI where human wellbeing and happiness take center stage, we must collaborate internationally with young people because they will be the main users of AI in 2050”.
To that end, a virtual conference (invite only) with youth and representatives from industry, academia, governments and the UN will be held in November to discuss how to turn recommendations from youth into action.
This project was a collaboration between the United Nations and Waseda University, with support from Open Social.